A mommy makeover consists of a combination of two cosmetic surgeries that can help women who have been pregnant restore their pre-pregnancy bodies. Most commonly, the two procedures are a tummy tuck and breast lift.
The Tummy Tuck Procedure
Abdominoplasty, commonly known as a tummy tuck, is a surgical procedure that removes excess fat and skin, tightens abdominal wall muscles, and eliminates stretch marks between the belly button and pubis region. This surgical procedure creates a smoother and defined abdomen region by addressing 3 components of abdominal wall deformity. (1): Loose skin and stretch marks (2): Muscle weakness, which can occur as a result of pregnancy (3): Excess fat tissue commonly accumulated in the lower abdomen.
A tummy tuck requires an incision, typically below the bikini line that extends from hip to hip along the lower pubic area. The excess skin is stretched and removed to strengthen and flatten the abdominal muscles. Depending upon the scope of the work necessary, the time in surgery for a tummy tuck is approximately 2 to 4 hours. The Lexington Plastic Surgeons preferred tummy tuck would be considered classic abdominoplasty.
The ideal candidate is a non-smoking adult with weak abdominal muscles or excess fat and skin. Other candidates may have protrusion or laxity of the abdomen.
- Mandatory compression garments, post-surgery for 12 weeks
- A temporary tube, applied to the incision area to drain any excess blood or fluids that may accumulate
- Temporary swelling or minor discomfort during the first four weeks
- You may return to light activities and work after approximately two weeks
The Breast Lift Procedure
Breast lifting, also known as Mastopexy is a surgical procedure to raise and reshape drooping breasts through the removal of excess skin and repositioning of the nipple and remaining tissue. A breast lift can restore the shape and firmness of the breasts, as well as reduce the size areola. Breast implants can be placed either above or beneath the breast and major muscle groups in the chest area in conjunction with a breast lift, if the patient also desires an increase in volume and size.
Breast lift surgery can be performed within two to three hours. The best breast lift technique can be determined with your doctor after taking into account a few factors including the size and shape of your breasts, the size of your areolas, and the extent of sagging. The number and length of incisions needed varies based upon the individual.
Common breast lift techniques include:
- Circumareolar, or “Doughnut” Mastopexy, incision around areolar only
- Lollipop Mastopexy, or limited incision around areola with vertical line
- Inverted “T” Mastopexy, or incision around areola with vertical and horizontal lines
- Augmentation Mastopexy, or simultaneous breast lift and augmentation with implants
The ideal candidate for breast surgery is a non-smoking adult with drooping breasts, downward pointing areolas/nipples, and breasts lacking substance or firmness. The patient should be in good health and have realistic expectations about their results
- Typical bruising and swelling of the breasts for 1 to 3 days
- Slight discomfort for up to 7 days post-surgery
- Following the removal of bandages or surgical bra- soft support bra should be worn for 3 to 4 weeks
- Stitches will be removed in stages over a period of 3 to 4 weeks
- Return to work within 5 to 7 days