An Otoplasty can take anywhere between 2-3 hours, depending on the technique used. A common technique includes the creation of a small incision in the back of the ear to expose the cartilage, which is then sculpted. Permanent stitches may also be used to maintain this new shape.Â
You should be an adult in good general health, preferably a non-smoker. Patients undergoing this procedure should have realistic expectations for the results after surgery and be ready to maintain a healthy lifestyle and follow the medical team’s instructions for recovery and beyond.
Children undergoing this procedure should be in good general health, have no life-threatening illnesses or chronic ear infections, and be able to cooperate and follow directions for care.
- Temporary discomfort for 3-5 days post-surgery
- Temporary head dressing to protect the ears
- Stitches typically removed or dissolved within a week
- Adults may return back to work in approximately 5 days post-surgery
- Children may return back to school in approximately 7 days post-surgery