The reason I wanted to have a breast reduction is that I didn’t feel sexy . . . my breasts were hurting me; it was like a sack of potatoes. To me it was just awful. What I want people to know about Lexington Plastic Surgeons is this“ if you want a friendly atmosphere, that’s the way to go! I don’t have anything bad I can say about anyone here. You guys have not let me down.
Michelle’s Story A Breast Reduction
Breast reduction surgery is performed under general anesthesia and can take approximately 3-4 hours. Our preferred method involves creating an anchor-shaped incision around the areola and follows the natural crease under the surface of the breast. Excessive glandular fat, tissue, and skin are removed and the areola and nipple are reconstructed to a new position on the breasts. Incisions are then brought together in order to reshape, and sutures are layered deep within the tissue to create and support the newly shaped breasts. Sutures, skin adhesives, and/or surgical tape will then be used to close the skin.
You should be an adult in good general health, preferably a non-smoker. Patients undergoing this procedure should have realistic expectations for the results after surgery and be ready to maintain a healthy lifestyle and follow the medical team’s instructions for recovery and beyond.
- Incision lines are permanent, but will fade over time in most cases
- An elastic bandage or support bra may be worn to minimize swelling and support breasts as they heal
- A thin tube may also be temporarily placed under the skin to drain excess blood or fluid that may collect to avoid infection
- Slight discomfort for 1-2 weeks after surgery
- Resume normal activities within 2 weeks following surgery
Before & After