A mommy makeover consists of a combination of two cosmetic surgeries that can help women who have been pregnant restore their pre-pregnancy bodies. Most commonly, the two procedures are a tummy tuck and breast lift.
The Tummy Tuck Procedure
Abdominoplasty, commonly known as a tummy tuck, is a surgical procedure that removes excess fat and skin, tightens abdominal wall muscles and eliminates stretch marks between the belly button and pubis region. This procedure creates a smoother and defined abdomen region by addressing three components of abdominal wall deformity:
- Loose skin and stretch marks
- Muscle weakness, which can occur as a result of pregnancy
- Excess fat tissue, commonly accumulated in the lower abdomen
A tummy tuck requires an incision, typically below the bikini line that extends from hip to hip, along the lower pubic area. Excess skin is stretched and removed to flatten the abdominal muscles. Depending upon how much work is required, a tummy tuck can take approximately 2-4 hours. The Lexington Plastic Surgeons preferred tummy tuck method is considered classical abdominoplasty.
The ideal candidate is a healthy, non-smoking adult with weak abdominal muscles or excess fat and skin. Laxity or protrusion of the abdomen is a main factor. Patients undergoing this procedure should have realistic expectations for the results after surgery.
- Mandatory compression garments, post-surgery for 12 weeks
- A temporary tube, applied to incision area to drain excess blood or fluids that may accumulate
- Temporary swelling or minor discomfort during the first 4 weeks
- You may return to work and light activities after approximately 2 weeks